Skin care to me is probably one of the most important parts of my makeup routine. It always feels wrong for me to put on a face of makeup with cleansing, toning and moisturising before hand.
Without skin care I would’t have the guts to go makeup less some days. It really has transformed my skin and I couldn’t go without it now.
Before I jump into my own skincare routine I thought I’d give you guys a few tips I’ve picked up over the years.
- Know your skin type! If you don’t know what skin type you have, buying skincare can be quite daunting. The four main skin types are dry, oily, combination and normal. When you know your skin type finding products to target your skin will be a lot easier.
- Get rid of those makeup wipes! There is nothing I hate more then makeup wipes. They are harsh on the skin, irritate eyes, and on some occasions pull out your eyelashes. They aren’t all that great for your skin, and there are a lot of quicker and easier ways of removing your makeup and cleansing your skin. Cream cleaners and cleansing balms are so much more gentle on the skin and remove all that makeup and dirt from your face in seconds. A few favourites of mine are the Emma Hardie cleansing balm, Liz Earl Cleanse and Polish and the Soap and Glory Peaches and Clean.
- Read reviews and learn about products before you buy them! Knowing what your buying before you get it makes your shopping experience so much easier and less stressful. And even if you only have a rough idea of what you want go to a few counters and ask for advice. 9 of out 10 times the people on the counters will be more than happy to help you and steer you into the right direction.
- Get into a routine of doing your skin care daily. I do mine every evening and every morning. I use a few extra products in the evening that will treat my skin as I sleep, meaning I wake up in the morning with glowy skin. If you stick at it every single day you will get into a routine of it and you will notice a huge difference in your skin.
- And lastly the most obvious thing. Water! Drink plenty of water. Your skin will really soak it up and it will make you look so much healthier and more awake. If your not a fan of plain water add chopped fruit to it, such as lemons, orange or watermelon.
Now moving onto my skincare routineAs I mentioned before my skin care routine is different morning and evening. My morning routine is super simple and easy to do if your in a rush. It takes no more than five minutes and always leaves my skin glowing.
My first step is cleansing. The product I use the most for cleansing is the Emma Hardie Cleansing Balm. This is a solid balm that melts as you warm it up in your hands. I massage this into my skin, and using a damp cloth, wash it off. This leaves the skin super soft and clean.
After cleansing I tone. I use the Kiehls Cucumber Herbal Alcohol-free Toner. I use a small amount of this on a cotton pad and wipe it all over my face. Toning your skin picks up all the remaining dirt on your face, and removes any excess oils.
Next up is moisturiser. I use the Kiehls Ultra Facial cream. This is super hydrating and sinks into the skin really quickly. This keeps my skin feeling smooth and hydrated all day.
Lastly I use an eye cream. This isn’t essential, and sometimes I do skip this step. The eye cream I use is the Kiehls creamy eye treatment. This contains avocado which helps give you a radiant look to your skin, which is particularly great for under eye circles. This is quite thick eye cream so I only use it when I don’t need to put makeup on straight away or when my eye area is looking particularly tired.
That is pretty much it for my morning skin care routine. I like to keep it pretty simple, especially if I’m in a rush in the mornings.
My night time routine varies depending on the day. Some days I’ll use a face scrub and a mask and go all out, yet other days I keep it fairly simple, and pretty much the same as my morning routine. I use all of the same products from my morning routine in my night time routine, more so for convince and because I know they work well for me.
On a day where I go all out I will cleanse my skin using the Emma Hardie Cleansing Balm. I then use the Kiehls Turmeric and Cranberry Seed Energizing Radiance Masque. I apply this in a thick layer all over my skin and leave it for around 10 minutes and then remove it with a damp cloth. This mask really brightens and refreshes my complexion. The seeds exfoliate my skin as I remove it, removing all of the dead skin cells on my face.
After removing the mask I’ll use the Garner Micellar Water to remove any excess of the mask and to clean my skin further. I then go in with the Kiehls Cucumber Herbal Alcohol-free Toner again to remove the excess dirt and oils.
Next up I use one of my favourite products ever. The Kiehls Midnight Recovery Concentrate. This is an oil which restores your skin as your sleep, leaving you with a really healthy complexion come the morning time. To apply this I use two drops and I pat them into my skin. I’m not 100% sure of the benefit of doing it this way, but when I bought the product that was how I was told to use it. This leaves my skin looking and feeling amazing. Its perfect for all skin types. Even oily!
After this step I moisturise using the Kiehls Ultra Face Cream and I then use the Kiehls Creamy Eye Treatment.
The last two steps!
I love lip scrubs and my favourites are from LUSH. At the moment I’m using the LUSH Sugar Plum Fairy lip scrub. This removes all of the dead skin from my lips and it leaves my lips really soft. It also tastes amazing! Once I’ve exfoliated my lips I’ll moisturise them using the Kiehls Lip Balm #1. This is super moisturising and it repairs your lips as you sleep, meaning your lips are super soft when you wake up.
And that is it! If you’ve read until the end I applaud you!
I hope this post has helped any of you in need of skin care advice. I’m no expert, but I’ve learnt a lot over the years.
Make sure you stick around to read more posts!