I’m absolutely rubbish when it comes to money. I have zero savings, and when I have money in my account I just spend it. One of my goals for 2018 is to save as much as I can for a trip I want to go on to new York in a couple of years time. So these are some of the things I’m going t try and do over the year to help me save. If you have any more tips then please, please let know!
- Set up a savings account, with a direct debit. – I want to have a direct debit sent to my savings account every month on payday, with a set amount of money to save. This way that money is already in my savings and I won’t be as tempted to spend it recklessly.
- Meal Prep for work- Working in a restaurant means there is always food on hand when I don’t bring any with me, but we have to pay for it, and while we do get a discount, it all adds up, and I end up spending so much money on food in work.
- Using my own coffee- Carrying on with my previous point, I’m always buying coffee in work, and when I’m out and about, so carrying around a reusable cup with coffee made at home will save me a small fortune. Maybe I’ll treat myself to a starbucks/costa once a week, as apposed to my multiple cups a week.
- Shopping my Stash- I used to do this a lot with my makeup, so I want to try it with my wardrobe too. I have so much makeup and fashion items that I can’t even remember half of what I’ve got, so I’m going to shop through my own things every few months and bring out old favourites that I’ve forgotten about instead of buying new things to add to the stash.
- Unsubscribe from email lists- You know those boxes you tick next to the terms and conditions, that you don’t even think about not pressing. Yeah they always mean that you’re going to end up with tonnes of emails from all the brands you shop at, giving you discount codes and letting you know when new products are released. The temptation is always too much and I end up spending my money. Unsubscribe from them! The temptation will be gone! You won’t even know about that 20% off party dresses sale!
- Set a weekly budget- I like to set myself a budget for the week, go to the bank, take the money out of my account and live off of that cash for the week. Make sure you know how much you need for bills etc, and work around that. Hide your card away, give it to your mum/partner etc. and ask for it back when the week is over. You can budget enough for your plans for the week, petrol for your car or other means of transport etc. and also keep an amount aside as a back up incase you have any spontaneous plans, and if not save it!
So those are the tips I’m going to be putting into action this year to save money! New York I will be coming back in a few years, with all the money to blow in Sephora and Bath and Body Works!